28 June, 2011

What You CAN Do

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" Philippians 4:13 (KJV).

I need to hear this as much as anybody else. Even as I sit and reflect on these thoughts I am tired - tired of the financials, my living situation, the "stuff" of life. It's getting old. The Lord has made it clear that He is with us in all of this, to bring us out (not just grit our teeth and bear it). I would just like it if things would speed up. However, that part is on me. So I dive into these thoughts for us all - so that we might all see an acceleration of the manifestations of God's power in our lives.

I begin with a story, one that I try to mask as best I can for the (very small) chance it is read by the parties involved. It paves the way for what the Lord has been pressing on me today, so I take the risk. I had a professor in college who liked to read papers to the class. They would read small bits from the more profound projects of various people in class (always anonymous, of course). I worked my butt off time and time again in hopes of finally impressing the prof to the point of hearing something I wrote read and praised. Might I add, I learned in college that I am not profound in my thinking... Finally, in the middle of my third year, my paper was read - and boy do I wish it hadn't. I was to write a weekly summary paper reflecting on my thoughts and growth during the course. I made the mistake of very candidly explaining that I still had no idea what we were talking about each and every week. We were in week six out of ten. I got ripped (anonymously, of course). For those of you wanting to go to college: bring a dictionary. Professors do not explain themselves very well. I say all this because I had previously scheduled a meeting with this professor... for twenty minutes after this class ended *gulp* We conducted our business as if nothing happened. Then they looked at me, scary eyes and all, and said, "Don't you ever again tell me what you don't know."

Don't tell Me what you don't know. Don't tell Me what you can't do. I sense the Father takes a similar attitude with His children. I am not a parent, but I know that parents get annoyed when their kids complain about not being able to do things. Parents know what their children are capable of doing, and it bothers them to hear their kids say they can't do something. You try to encourage your kids as they grow up, yet they run around hollering "I can't, I can't! It's too hard!" or something of that nature. It becomes a battle of wills that is often quite exhausting. Most of the time, the child finally figures it (insert the "it" of your choice here) out, and the parent stifles back an "I told you so!" Our Father thinks the same way about His kids as earthly parents think about their own.

Religion has taught us to come before God grovelling in our inabilities, as a form of humility. It is based in a very poor understanding of what Biblical humility is. Yes, the Bible says to humble yourself under the Hand of God (1Peter 5:6). Yes, the Bible says God opposes the proud and regards the lowly (Psalm 138:6). Yes, Jesus said that apart from Him you cannot do anything (John 15:5). However, the Scripture also tells us to avoid the deception of self-abasement (Colossians 2:18), which means beating yourself up as a means of showing yourself as religious. The Bible calls it a fraud. Parents do not like hearing their children talk bad about themselves. What in the world has given Christians the idea that God is any different?! He hates it!

True Biblical humility is an understanding of what your physical limitations are in contrast to the Lord. Jesus said that without Him you can do nothing; but He also side He is with us now and until the end of the age (Matthew 28:20). He said we have power because the Holy Spirit is upon (2Timothy 1:7). He said we can do anything with His Anointing upon us (Philippians 4:13). We do not go before the Lord saying what we can't do, but rather, we go before Him acknowledging what we can do in Him. God has great confidence in you, because He has great confidence in Himself - and He is dwelling in you. Prayers of "God we are so unworthy" are not Biblical prayers. "Lord, I need You" is a much better place to start. Humanity is the pinnacle of God's creation. We have been given dominion over all the works of His Hands (that's why the devil hates you so much). Jesus' sacrifice bought back that authority for us. So use it. Understand who you are and what you are capable of (I have a feeling someone is going to throw that back at me in the near future...). When you talk bad about yourself you are talking bad about someone God created and loves. He doesn't care for that too much. I suggest you stop, and find the balance of living humbly in your rightful place of dominion on this earth.

No comments: